Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My New Powder Coating Equipment and First Runs.

Recently I purchased powder coating equipment.  It has been in the plans for almost two years and have finally gotten going on it.  I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now I can powder coat the frames exactly how I want.

I have been doing some learning test runs with frames i have had around the shop for a long time and have been meaning to either paint myself or take them out for powder coating.

The first test run I did was of a Gitane Tourist mixte.  I really like the set up of this Gitane and the character in its design.  i originally tried to save the original paint but it was just to far gone.  I figured this would be a good first test run.

I learned two things during the powder coating of the Gitane, the first is i probably should have not started with a mixte frame with all the nooks and crannys and second I learned what the correct thickness to apply the powder to get good flow and no orange peel.  For some one who has painted for a long time this took a little bit of getting use to but eventually got it down pretty darn good.

One other challenge of the Gitane mixte frame was it was dipped into a etching substance to make the original paint adhere better, this etching made a very strongly textured surface which made the powder coating a challenge.   In the end I think I did pretty darn good with just a few small parts i wish where slightly better.  The color is left over powder from the Bianchi Veloce and I think is a perfect color for the Gitane.  I do need to powder coat the chain guard yet.

The Gitane Tourist Mixte frame will be featured in an upcoming build.

First Run Powder Coating - Gitane Mixte Frame

First Run Powder Coating - Gitane Mixte Frame
Head Tube

First Run Powder Coating - Gitane Mixte Frame - Bottom Bracket

First Run Powder Coating - Gitane Mixte Frame

First Run Powder Coating - Gitane Mixte Frame
Fork
My second run is of a Schwinn frame I started a while back painting red with a cream head tube.  I did not like the way it was going so i put it on a hook to think about.  I decided to use the frame as my second test run.  This time the powder coating turned out beautiful, stunning actually until I removed the so called high temp tape that came with the kit.  I removed the tape just as the powder started to flow, I should say I tried removing the tape just as the powder started to flow but the tape had already turned to goo.  It was not high temp tape even though it says right on it.  This took extra work to fix and its not exactly how I wanted it to be but it still is very good.

I changed the color from red and cream to black and cream and love it.  The black looks like liquid it flowed so nice.  This will be built into a single speed cycle-tourist bicycle with fenders and leather.  Look for a post of the upcoming build.  I love this look!!

Second Run Powder Coating - Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build

Second Run Powder Coating
Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build - Blurry Photo

Second Run Powder Coating - Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build
Fork

Second Run Powder Coating - Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build
Bottom Bracket

Second Run Powder Coating - Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build
Fork

Second Run Powder Coating - Upcoming Cycle Tourist Build
Both Frames
I am going to do two more test runs, one of a Raleigh Sports and one of either a 1980's trek, a very Large 1977 Trek TX700 or a older Falcon.

After the last two test runs look for two amazing frames to be a powder coated, one a mIyata Team Miayata and a Schwinn Paramount.

Check back then,
John Z.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I may have to look you up for powdercoating my next frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very impressive. Actually my dad have powder coat equipment, and I'm going to try what you id in coating the frame of your bikes. I'm looking for more powder coating supplies , new power colors and a powder coat gun.

    ReplyDelete